8 Lifestyle Changes to Improve Energy Levels
Hey everybody! I’m Corie and I was recently diagnosed with Lyme Disease about six months ago! It has been the hardest year of my life, but also the most rewarding. I struggle each day with low energy levels and extreme fatigue. Over the past six months I have come up with many lifestyle changes that have improved my overall well-being. The following are tips and tricks that I hope will benefit fellow chronic illness warriors reading this:
1. SLEEP-We all know how important sleep is! Without the right amount of rest, our bodies cannot function. Having a chronic illness means you probably need to get more sleep than others, and that’s okay! My body needs at least ten to twelve hours of shut-eye a night so I schedule my days around that. If you have to wake up earlier, make sure you are going to bed at a reasonable time.
TIPS FOR BETTER SLEEP:
Make sure your room is nice and comfortable. If you aren’t cozy in your own bed, you aren’t allowing your body to get the best rest.
Drink a hot cup of tea with honey before you get in bed.
Write out everything that is on your mind before getting in bed. That way all your thoughts are out on paper and your mind won’t keep you awake.
2. SNACKING-Keep snacks with you throughout the day to give you a boost of energy or to help you stay awake.
MY FAVORITE SNACKS:
Kind Bars-they are low in sugar & fill you up.
Dry Fruit Bars-contain natural sugars that give you a little boost of energy.
Popcorn-it keeps you munching and awake.
Plain avocado (with salt and pepper)-it’s yummy and energizing.
Sweet Potato fries-try cutting up a raw sweet potato and bake them in the oven, such a treat!
Cup of oatmeal-for when you need a more filling snack.
Fresh berries-they are great antioxidants.
Applesauce pouch-super easy and also great with kids.
Corn chips and salsa-my all time favorite.
All natural lemonade-combine water, lemon, and a few drops of stevia for a sugar free drink.
3. ORGANIZATION-live a stress-free life! When your life is organized, you are less burdened by everything that’s going on. Unnecessary anxiety is draining and the last thing you need when living with a chronic illness.
TIPS ON KEEPING ORGANIZED:
Tidy up your house, room, and car each day; just pick up after yourself.
Keep a planner to schedule out your days so you always know what is coming up next.
Have a set place for everything…that way you don't loose your phone, keys, or purse.
Have go-to outfits you know look good on! If you ever are running late, you will have items you can throw on without thought.
4. DIET-changing up my diet has completely transformed my life! I am now gluten-free, sugar free, and dairy free. Gluten and wheat are undoubtedly bad for your immune system. When you burn out your immune system, you are burning out your energy levels. Sugar is also widely known to be rough on you in general as it eats up all the natural energy in your body. It drains you after you get over the “sugar rush”. Dairy is not good to take with supplements and other natural remedies that give you energy. It tends to be extra heavy on your system and slows you down.
TIPS FOR A GLUTEN/SUGAR/DAIRY FREE DIET:
Lyme bacteria feeds off sugar so it’s essential we try to starve it.
Go to your local natural foods store (i.e., Whole Foods) and browse around. There are plenty of diet-friendly options.
Stick with fruits, veggies, meats, natural fats, and whole grains (rice, quinoa, etc.) to be safe.
Cut out one food group at a time, don’t try to do it all at once.
You may see a huge difference in your skin! I use to have really bad acne and it has completely cleared up since I started following the Paleo Diet.
Water. I can’t stress the importance of water. It helps regulate almost every part of your body!
5. SUPPLEMENTS-I take many different supplements each day. I truly believe these have helped me regain everyday function and combat fatigue. You can find different nutriments at a natural grocery store or even online.
SUPPLEMENTS I TAKE FOR ENERGY:
Omega 3 (fish oil)
Curcumin-this also helps with muscle pain and body aches.
Adrenal Calm-this stuff has worked miracles for my body! I feel energized just fifteen minutes after taking this with some food.
6. DETOX-get rid of the bad stuff in your body! Waste in your body can drag you down and increase lethargy. Detoxing every day while having a chronic illness helps get rid of the bug in your body and reduces disease.
HOW DO I DETOX?
Go to a sauna a few times a week to sweat out toxins in the body. I personally feel very refreshed after my sessions.